Thursday, August 2, 2012

Vegetable Gardening


I am trying to ignore the weeding in my garden I need to do today. I'm still in my jammies reading a dieting book while watching "The Doctors" on T.V. talk about how we need to stop eating sweets and diet soda. Gosh, I thought diet soda was better than drinking sugary regular soda. But THE DOCTORS said it makes you crave sugary sweets. THAT must be my PROBLEM!! Stupid diet soda!!  
Cute gardening stuff...the hubs is working on a potting table for me.

So.....I guess I'll go pick something HEALTHY out of my little vegetable garden.  I have squash, zuchini, tomatoes, peppers, herbs and a pumpkin. That's all I did this year.  Other years I have done green beans and corn, but this year it's just the two of us, so I'm going easy on myself! 
Picking stuff from the garden the hubs snapped this very bad pic of me. :D

Tomatoes growing in the cages...looks like a good crop this year. 


I cut a bunch up and made a 7 Layer Dip! 

It's so rewarding to use stuff from your own veggie garden to make something for your own family, isn't it? Yeah! IT IS! 

tOmAtOeS
   I always start the tomatoes out in a tomato cage.   We've already gotten a few delicious tomatoes. Gotta have a BLT very soon!                          
yEllOw sQuAsH...very HEALTHY! 
GREEN zucchini - who doesn't LOVE Zuchini Bread? 
This year I also planted some cucumbers. They really look alot like a zuchini plant. I usually can't really tell one squash from the other plant till I get some of the veggies growing on them. Even the flowers looks similar to me!
cHiVeS - I love going to pick a few of these when I need them.  They would be GREAT for an indoor garden....Hey!  Great Idea!  
First Fruits (and veggies) of the harvest...
My cucumbers are pretty good this year! I put one in a salad last night and it was delicious! Aren't they so chubby and cute? 
 We planted tomatoes, squash, zucchini, bell peppers in green and yellow, onions, and beans.  Oh and the radishes my class did, I brought one home and replanted it.  John got out all his tomato cages from the garage. And of course we had to fix like a GAZILLION sprinklers! What is up with those constantly breaking sprinkler heads? Don't love those things.
We planted about 4 varieties and I think I still like "BETTER BOY" the very best. 

They always come in fast, they don't split open like some varieties, and they are delicious too. 

 We are lazy weeders.  I just want it to look good and I want to have fresh veggies...... and beautiful things everywhere....but I don't want to worry about it! I don't ask for much do I?




The garden looks a WHOLE lot better here in the after picture... we've got tomatoes finally ripening too!

It's fun to see pay dirt on all our hard work....now it's fun to go outside again!
I think we figured out the secret....just to do a little bit every few days...it was discouraging at first....but seeing it get better over time...(and still a ways to go) has been very rewarding.  And maybe...just maybe I'm not such a black thumb after all!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardener Wannabe

Gardener Wannabe
The Gardener Wannabe