Saturday, May 12, 2012

Backyard Terrace Before and After


We have seriously neglected our backyard for the last few years. We were busy remodeling a kitchen and basement and bedrooms last year and the previous years. We had to redo floors and paint walls and remodel in the summer. So somethings gotta give, right? Yeah, it was the backyard. I just ignored it and let it grow wild!

Seriously neglected backyard terraces

Terraced  gardens  & grapevines...what a "before" mess!  Ugh!! 
Much better Backyard gardens "after" all the work....

Lillies just starting to bloom! Woo HOO!  



We added Solar Fence Post Caps in copper...they light up at night...super COOL
These you can get from Lowes or Home Depot. Or check out my store for NIGHT LIGHTS, all kinds of wonderful solar lighting items for some beautification of your backyard or patio or deck!!!

 
This is definitely the BEFORE PICTURE of our flagstone steps! YUCK!  Can you believe it?  Not really...no....

The backyard stairs were done about 5 years ago with flagstone. They looked really good the first year, but after that all kinds of stuff grew all around and in between the rocks and it looked awful.
Then the neighbor's cement fence post fell on it. He was going through some financial woes, so we knew he couldn't pay to have it fixed. Murphy's Law. I knew there would be a reckoning day where from neglect we'd have to do all that WEEDING! And fixing! Oh CRAP! Do I HATE yard work? Yes, I do.

Not perfect....but definitely an improved "after" picture....
So anyway THIS was the year we had to do it. Soooooo,  we started on the middle terrace and pulled all the weeds and roto-tilled it, and added some soil amendment to it. Then we started our summer garden after all the snow in May melted. We had snow until the end of May! We had a very late start to Spring this year!

gardening stuff....just getting ready to do all that WORK!  

                               


Well, if you are like us and have a climate that gets SNOW like ours does, you need to do the requisite sprinkler repair every single solitary year. What the heck happens with sprinklers anyway. Is it some kind of evil conspiracy that a fifth of them need to be replaced every other year? So of course we had to fix like a GAZILLION sprinklers! What is up with those constantly breaking sprinkler heads? Don't love those things. So I'll be busy working on those for the next week or so. And in the meantime, check out my veggie garden . It's just coming together! 


One of the little loves of my life, my granddaughter Josie! She  just turned 2! 

We had put in lots of fruit trees years back and they are finally starting to produce....not lots of stuff mind you...maybe a dozen fruits per tree....but it's yummy and very fascinating to watch those trees just do their "thang".


I have a big selection of gardening gloves. I like to use them whenever I'm weeding so I don't destroy my fingernails too badly. I have some washable cheaper ones I use when I'm watering or in wet mud. Then I just throw them in the laundry bin. I think I've got about 7 pairs of gloves now. It does help me want to go out and weed the yard if I have nice tools.
aPrIcOtS
We also have an apple tree, a peach and nectarine tree and an apricot tree.  None of them ever have done really well except the apple.  I think our soil is just too sandy.  We have a pond in the backyard too and it looked just dreadful and it was clogged and yucky.  So we had to redo that too.  And neither one of us are "garden" people.

Ya gotta have some wind chimes.....
 We are lazy weeders.  I just want it to look good and I want to have fresh veggies...... and beautiful things everywhere....but I don't want to worry about it! I don't ask for much do I?

We added flowers under the deck for he first time too...Hydrangeas in the SHADE!!! 


The garden looks a WHOLE lot better here in the after picture... we've got tomatoes too! 
We repainted the deck. It was quite a sight! We used that new RESTORE paint. Check out my post on the deck too. 

Here's how it looks now....its fun to go out and BBQ again! Woopie!

It's fun to see pay dirt on all our hard work....now it's fun to go outside again!
I think we figured out the secret....just to do a little bit every few days...it was discouraging at first....but seeing it get better over time...(and still a ways to go) has been very rewarding.  And maybe...just maybe I'm not such a black thumb after all!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardener Wannabe

Gardener Wannabe
The Gardener Wannabe