Saturday, March 21, 2015

First Day of Spring Gardening

Well, I have been ignoring my gardening for months now. I have to repent now that it is the first day of Spring! In Utah we have the seasons, so there is really nothing growing in the garden during the long Winter. I can see a few of my bulbs peeking through, and a few of them have actually erupted! It is finally really and truly Spring. I am getting excited to see some flowers in my garden again.

Today I planted some paperwhite bulbs inside in a light blue pot for my newly remodeled bathroom. It is coming together nicely. All except for the too blue paint I did the walls with. It looks kind of cave-like. I need to re-pick that color. I should have trusted the hubs who is good at paint picking. I will never learn.
I hope I get a TON of tomatoes this year. I'm going to try my hand at making CATSUP! Everybody tells me how easy it is. And I know homemade is so much better than bottled. 

Got to get out all my garden gloves and shears today. It's time to start getting the beds ready. 


Save your seeds in mason jars from year to year so they stay fresh. 


Anyhoo, I also bought some little pots for my kindergarteners to plant seeds with. They were only $2.48 for 32 little prism shaped biodegradable pots at Walmart. I just have to cut them apart and buy some radish seeds. They seem to germinate faster than any others. And little kids' attention spans won't last more than a few weeks waiting to see something sprouting in their collective pots.


Every year I give them choices and every year the kids with the radishes get to be joyful watching their little flowery stalks grow green and cute. But the other kids wait and wait and watch their dirt get moldy from overwatering. It is quite a downer. So this year everybody does radish seeds. Or maybe even grass seeds; something that is fool proof!
I need to put some pre-emergent on the grass too so it will look green and pretty this summer. 

And Home Depot has really nice mulch for $2.50 a giant bag. I have to go get some of that and spread it around the beds. It always makes everything look new and wonderful. And hopefully it will help the plants grow lush and full this year. I'm going to have a really BIG garden this year. Last year we had the whole house stuccoed and there were scaffolds all over the backyard for weeks and weeks. We never did get to the garden.  There was just too much going on. So this year I will have to make up for it.



 I'm planting some bulbs around the pond where the deer won't get to them. And I'm planting some raspberry bushes up at the cabin. Bear Lake is known for its raspberries up there. And I'm jealous of neighbors who planted 3 years ago and have gobs of raspberries now. They make everything from pie to jam with their stash!
Jams and Jellies and Spinach Artichoke dip. Yummy stuff from the garden. 

Happy planting everyone. I hope you are as excited about this spring season as I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardener Wannabe

Gardener Wannabe
The Gardener Wannabe